Sunday, February 20, 2011
Last year, I wrote a post called Covering Up is a Feminist Issue after seeing yet another comment from a self-proclaimed non-judgmental woman asking why women can't just cover up when they are breastfeeding. The presumption that her comfort level should dictate how other people dress or act irked me into action. The post was fairly successful in creating dialogue on the issue, so I decided to take the concept and turn it into a video. I've been working on it for a while and the recent comments from a Toronto police officer that women can avoid rape by not dressing like a "slut" prompted me to finish and launch the video.
Credits and Thank Yous
This video is a compilation of wonderful content created by other people. I would like to thank:
- Canadian singer-songwriter Amanda Rheaume for giving permission to use her amazing song Out of Time from the 2007 album If You Never Live.
- The wonderful photographers who either made their work available through a creative commons licence or who gave me permission to use their photos in the video, including:
- Amy from Muddy Boots Photography (also muddybootsphoto on flickr)
- Desiree Fawn from So Fawned (also desireefawn on flickr)
- HeidiL and Landslide Photography for the photo on the right, which is incorrectly attributed in the video (many thanks to HeidiL for permission to use the photo). See other beautiful nursing pictures by Landslide Photography.
- Paige from Baby Dust Diaries and Nursing Freedom who has created a collection of breastfeeding photos on flickr, two of which I used in the video.
- The Indiana Black Breastfeeding Coalition, which has just created an amazing set of photos of black women breastfeeding and put them into the public domain.
- Sarah R. Bloom, a photographer whose work you can find at Sad and Beautiful, and who gave me permission to use her beautiful shot Merger.
- Other flickr users whose photos were made available with a creative commons license:
- Helga Weber
- NATALIA PHOTOS
- Sagrado Corazón
- rachel sian
- emilio labrador
- Emery Co Photo
- Magdalena O!
- Anita Robicheau
- Joe Shlabotnik
- alpa kai omorfa
- Presidencia de la República del Ecuador
- Alison Kramer from Nummies Nursing Bras for the inspiration to make a video and for her encouragement and advice.
- Stephanie Montreuil from The Lotus Pad for her encouragement and support.
If you wish to share this video on your blog, please go ahead (you can get the embed code on YouTube). I would love link back here when you do and ideally a comment or an e-mail so that I can come and check out your post too.
Thank you for watching!